Beer and specifically cask ales are varied and complex with flavours that complement a wide range of food.
Below are six golden rules of beer and food pairing: –
- Light dishes suit light beers
- Richly flavoured dishes require a more robust beer
- Sweeter foods require a sweeter and heavier beer.
- Heavy, creamy dishes require a beer with some sharp acidity to cut through the richness of the food.
- The flavour of the beer should complement the flavour of the food.
- Light beers should always be taken before richer flavoured beers.
As with matching any drink with food the customer’s preference is most important, however there are some matches made in heaven and highly recommended.